How To Delete a Specimen Record
In order to delete a specimen record(s) in Arctos, you must first create an Encumbrance
Note that you can only delete a maximum of 1000 specimen records at a time through this method.
NAVIGATION: Manage Date Menu → Metadata Menu → Encumbrances**
Create an Encumbrance to Delete Specimen Records
Go to Manage Data -> Metadata -> Encumbrances from the main Tools menu (If you do not see this menu, you will need to request access). From the Encumbrances screen, click on the “Create an Encumbrance” hyperlink at the top of the page. Fill in the required fields with generic information so that you can reuse this encumbrance any time you would like to delete a specimen record now or in the future:
- Encumbering Agent - in most cases will be you, the operator
- Made Date - select today’s date
- Expiration Date: choose a date up to the maximum of five years ahead of the made date. All encumbrances will expire on the expiration date or 5 years from the made date unless they are renewed - the collection contact will receive an email warning of expiration. Pay attention to these emails.
- Encumbrance - title with a generic name (e.g.”delete records” or “duplicate records for deletion”); choose something that you will be able to search on and find later. Remember that you can create many different encumbrances, so it is OK to create one for a specific project.
- Encumbrance Action - For deletion purposes, you will want to choose “maks record”, which will hide the record from public view. However, other options for encumbrances found at the code table controlled vocabulary here: ctos.database.museum/info/ctDocumentation.cfm?table=CTENCUMBRANCE_ACTION
- click the “Create Encumbrance” button
Delete Specimen Records
- To delete one or more specimen records, you will need to do a Specimen Search for specimen record(s) that you would like to delete. You can also search on a group of records for deletion, for example, by searching on an accession.
- On the Specimen Results page, make sure you want to delete all specimen records listed in the table (if not, either remove records from the table using the check boxes or redo your search to isolate the records to be deleted). Select “Encumbrances” from the Manage Menu at the top of the results table.
- You will be navigated to the Encumbrance page where you will see all of the specimen records that you just queried listed at the bottom of the screen. Enter your agent name and encumbrance name to find your specific “delete” encumbrance.
- On the next screen, click on the “Add all Items to this Encumbrance” hypertext. Remember, you can only delete a maximum of 1000 specimen records at a time.
- You will now see all the records listed again, with an option to “Remove from this Encumbrance.” If everything is OK, click “Return to this Encumbrance.”
- Now click the “Delete Encumbered Specimens” hypertext and all records included in the encumbrance will be deleted from Arctos. You will need to confirm at the prompt NOTE: Records with citations or media cannot be immediately deleted - you must first detach citations or media objects from the record before you can delete it. If you are trying to delete more than 1000 records, you’ll get an error message that starts with ‘fail: listlen(catIdList)=…’
- TIP: you can also access Encumbrances through the Specimen Detail page of a single specimen record (via the top “Encumbrances” tab).