How To Delete a Specimen Record
In order to delete a specimen record(s) in Arctos, you must first create an Encumbrance
Note that you can only delete a maximum of 1000 specimen records at a time.
NAVIGATION: Manage Date Menu → Metadata Menu → Encumbrances**
Create an Encumbrance to Delete Specimen Records
From the Encumbrances screen, click on the “Create an Encumbrance” hyperlink at the top of the page. Fill in the required fields with generic information so that you can reuse this encumbrance any time you would like to delete a specimen record now or in the future:
- Encumbering Agent - in most cases will be you, the operator
- Made Date - select today’s date
- Select an Expiration Date OR an Expiration Event (e.g., “never,” “indefinite,” “per curatorial release”) - you must enter data in one of these fields, but not both
- Encumbrance - title with a generic name (“deletes,” “deleted records,” etc.)
- Encumbrance Action - select “restrict usage”
- click the “Create Encumbrance” button
Delete Specimen Records
- Now you can search for specimen record(s) that you would like to delete. Enter your query from the Specimen Search page.
- On the results page, make sure you want to delete all specimen records listed in the table (if not, either remove records from the table using the check boxes or redo your search to isolate the records to be deleted). Select “Encumbrances” from the Manage Menu at the top of the results table.
- You will be navigated to the Encumbrance page where you will see all of the specimen records that you just queried listed at the bottom of the screen. Use the search fields to find your generic “delete” encumbrance.
- On the next screen, click on the “Add all Items to this Encumbrance” hypertext. Remember, you can only delete a maximum of 1000 specimen records at a time.
- You will now see all the records listed again, with an option to “Remove from this Encumbrance.” If everything is OK, click “Return to this Encumbrance.”
- Now click the “Delete Encumbered Specimens” hypertext and all records included in the encumbrance will be deleted from Arctos. NOTE: Records with citations or media cannot be immediately deleted - you must first detach citations or media objects from the record before you can delete it. If you are trying to delete more than 1000 records, you’ll get an error message that starts with ‘fail: listlen(catIdList)=…’
- TIP: you can also access Encumbrances through the Specimen Detail page of a specimen record (“Encumbrances” tab).