How To Create a Publication
Create a profile for a Journal Article or other Publication type. Once a publication exists in Arctos, a citation can then be created to link the publication directly to a specimen record(s). Publications can also be linked to Projects.
Search Menu → Publications/Projects → “New Publication” hypertext
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
If available, enter the publication’s DOI (ID only, no prefix) and click the “crossref” hypertext to search for the article’s metadata. If found, the relevant data will auto-populate the Publication fields below.
PubMed ID (PMID)
If available, enter the publication’s PMID and click the “crossref” hypertext to search for the article’s metadata. If found, the relevant data will auto-populate the Publication fields below.
Enter the textual description of the publication formatted as it would appear in a bibliography (typically author(s), year, title, journal name, volume/issue, and page numbers. Use the tools to right of text box to format text.
- For journal articles and book chapters, capitalize only the first letter of the title and proper names. Punctuate with a period unless otherwise punctuated. Example: The small mammals of the Great Plains. Example: Naked mole-rats: why are they so weird?
- Titles of journals and books should have all major words capitalized. Example: The Small Mammals of the Great Plains.
- Italicize generic and species names (use formatting tools to the right of the Citation field)
Typically authorship and year (the way publications are cited when included in the text of other publications). Except in the case of “et al.,” these should contain no punctuation or formatting. Examples: Jockusch et al. 1998 Burns and Fay 1970 Welsh 1968
Select from the code table (journal article, book, book section, dissertation, field notebook, other)
Defaults to ‘yes’, select ‘no’ if applicable
Enter Published Year (4 digit integer)
Note where the publication is stored if you have reprints or a copy of the physical object
Additional comments regarding the Publication
- Link the publication to agents in Arctos by indicating them in the table (select “Author” or “Editor” role). Type all or part of the agent’s name and click TAB on the keyboard and select the name from the pick list. Authors/Editors must already possess agent profiles in Arctos. Create a new agent if profile is not found.
- Additional contributors can be added as authors or editors by clicking the “Add Row” hypertext above the Name field.
Click the “Create Publication” button to save. If you have not entered a DOI or PMID you will get an error message asking you to do so. If these IDs are unavailable, click “cancel”. On the next screen (Edit Publication), there will be tools to look up DOI/PMID (“Bah! No DOI! Click this!” hypertext).
Add Media to a Publication
Click the “Add Media” hypertext to link a URL or pdf of the publication to the record. Several Media fields will appear.
- Enter the URI of the publication (e.g., a link to an article hosted by a specific journal or Biodiversity Heritage Library)
- Click the “Upload” hypertext to browse for a PDF of the publication on your computer (be careful not to violate any copyright infringements) *Specify file type by using the MIME Type menu (i.e., “text/html”) *Identify the media using the Media Type menu (i.e., “text”)
- Enter text that will display below the thumbnail of the publication media in the Description field.
Click the “Create Publication” button. Now you can Search Publications to call up the publication details page to edit the publication or cite specimens (e.g., Manage Citations).