How to Manage a Collection
The Manage Collection form in Arctos allows new or existing collections to create/edit metadata about their collection (except for some field values that are set when the collection is created). Users will need to have Manage_Collection permission for a collection in order to use this tool. Access this form through the following steps in the Arctos main menu: Manage Data -> Metadata -> Manage Collection -> Find Collection.
Managing a Collection for the First Time
Description: Enter a description for the collection. This information should be sufficiently detailed that it provides a user with information about the size and scope of the collection, as well as any special holdings. The Arctos description should match the collection description in the GRBIO registry of the collection.
Citation: This should indicate how the collection should be cited. It may include the specific collection, or just the institution. For example, “Museum of Vertebrate Zoology (MVZ), University of California, Berkeley” or “Bird Collection of the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology (MVZ), University of California, Berkeley.”
Web Link: A direct link to the web site for the collection (or institution if the collection itself doesn’t have a separate web site).
Link Text: The text that is linked to the list of institutional collections through the Arctos collections portal (e.g., MVZ Collections).
Loan Policy URL: A direct link to the loan policy for that collection or institution.
Catnum Format: A dropdown that specifies the format of catalog numbers for the collection. NOTE: Catalog numbers in integer format are preferred for ease of data discovery. There are three options:
License: A dropdown that contains options for licensing data (not media) from that collection. Choices included Creative Commons licenses or specific institutional “licenses” that describe authorized uses of the data. Any data published to GBIF must have a Creative Commons license, which is machine-readable and downloaded with every record. The same license chosen for Arctos data is used when publishing records to data aggregators. For guidance on licensing data, read the VertNet Guide to Copyright and Licenses for Data Publication.
Taxonomy Source: A dropdown list for the source of the taxonomic classification used for the collection.
Contacts: Anyone who is a contact for the collection must first be entered into Arctos as an agent, with a valid email address (see “How to Create Agents”). Add the name of each person who is a contact for the collection: type their last name and hit the tab key to bring up the list of agents with that name, then select the correct agent. For each contact, specify their Contact Agent Role through the dropdown.
It is recommended that every collection have at least one Data Quality and one Loan Request contact. Technical Support contact should be given as Dusty L. McDonald unless otherwise advised.
Header Options: Collections may customize the header that appears at the top of a collection record or when searching a collection portal.
- HEADER_COLOR: Background color; click the label for a color picker
- HEADER_IMAGE: 60x60 px image which will replace the Arctos Bear; load to /images/ or email it to The Arctos programmer and let them know when/if it should be pulled from the server(s).
- HEADER_CREDIT: Image attribution, displayed near the header image
- COLLECTION_URL: URL at which more collection information may be found
- COLLECTION_LINK_TEXT: text to display with COLLECTION_URL
- INSTITUTION_URL: URL at which more institution information may be found
- INSTITUTION_LINK_TEXT: text to display with INSTITUTION_URL
- META_DESCRIPTION: HTML header; for bots, probably no longer useful.
- META_KEYWORDS: HTML header; for bots, probably no longer useful.
- STYLESHEET: CSS stylesheet. Load css to /includes/css/ or coordinate with a DBA.
Managing a Collection Over Time
It is recommended that each collection’s metadata be reviewed at least annually to ensure that contact and web link information is up to date. It is important to check the following for accuracy:
- collection contacts and associated emails to ensure that someone will receive alerts
- links to loan forms, collection web pages, etc. to ensure there are no dead links
- update collection description if necessary
- update citation if necessary
To accomplish this, from the Arctos main menus select Manage Data -> Metadata -> Manage Collection -> Find Collection. and select the collection you wish to update from the dropdown list. Make the necessary edits and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.