This file has been deprecated. See instead: How-to-Contribute-Content-to-Arctos-Handbook (https://github.com/ArctosDB/documentation-wiki/blob/gh-pages/_how_to/How-to-Contribute-Content-to-Arctos-Handbook.markdown)
There are two kinds of content on the Arctos wiki site:
- Documentation, which describes specific data tables and/or types and defines data fields
- “How-to Guides,” which provide step-by-step instructions on how to do specific tasks in Arctos.
Arctos Documentation and “How-to Guides” can be created or edited by anyone who is a member of the ArctosDB “Users” team (see “How to Use GitHub for Arctos”). That team has “write” access to the ArctosDB/documentation-wiki repository in GitHub. Anyone can view the content, but you need to be added to the “Users” team by an ArctosDB administrator in order to make changes.
Curators/Collection Managers who want the ability to create or edit Documentation and “How-to Guides” should contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com in order to be added to the “Users” team. We encourage Curators/Collection Managers to engage students in writing “How-to Guides.” However, students will not be able to post them to the wiki site; instead, they will need to submit the content to a member of the ArctosDB “Users” team (e.g., their supervisor) who can then post the content.
Create New Text
- Login to GitHub.
- Go to the documentation-wiki repository.
- Click “Create Page” in upper right.
- Give the page a title. All “How-to Guide” titles should start with “How to ..” to distinguish tutorials from other Arctos documentation. Keep titles short and avoid punctuation or special characters (e.g., commas, colons, dashes, slashes, etc.) because the page title is used to format the URL.
- Using the text box, create your new content. Headers for different sections should be in Bold, and subsequent text should be presented as bulleted items. Use the icon edit tools at the top of the text box, or manually enter the code for different formatting. Edit mode should be “Markdown” (see Markdown definition and Markdown cheatsheet. Click on the help (question mark) icon to get some suggestions for doing headers, lists etc.
- Add the Arctos header to all new Wiki Pages by entering the Arctos banner at the top of the text page (before your content). The file is found at Arctos Banner image file. See instructions below for adding an image. You can also go to a page that already has the banner, edit the page, and copy the code containing the banner file at the top of the text box. Then insert that code at the top of the text box for the new page.
- Save the page!
- Add a link to the new page from the “Arctos Documentation and How-To Guides” page (alphabetically). The linked page will automatically show up in the sidebar. The title on the index page should be the same as the title of the new page.
Edit Existing Content
- Login to GitHub.
- Go to the documentation-wiki repository., main Code tab
- Find the page you want to edit by clicking on Find File next to the Clone or Download button. Type key words next to the documentation-wiki prompt. IMPORTANT: separate words with hyphens for the search to find titles correctly, e.g. “how-to-edit-documentation” *Select the file you have chosen
- Click on “Edit” in the upper right.
- Make your changes on the page. DO NOT EDIT a title because that will change the URL and thus affect linked pages.
- Save the page!
Add a Table
- In the page where you want to insert a table, follow the guide for Organizing Data into Tables in Github
- Give the image a URL: Go to the documentation-wiki tutorial_images folder (https://github.com/ArctosDB/documentation-wiki/tree/master/tutorial_images), and click the “upload files” button.
- Drag and drop the image or browse your computer for the image(s) and click the “commit changes” button.
- Click on the desired image to open it and copy the URL.
- Go to the page where you want to add the image (see above), and click on the image icon above the text box. Insert the URL. Only the URL (not the image) will show up in the text box.
- Hit the preview button.
- Save the page! Note: if you start an entry, and need to add an image, make sure you save your text entry before you leave to go copy the URL.
- Create a YouTube Video using the Arctos login: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email the database administrator for the password.
- Add the link to the page.
If you really want to learn more, visit http://nerds.inn.org/2014/05/19/applying-git-to-github-wikis/