Arctos Operators have permissions that allow them to access specific collections and data. To create a new User Account as an Operator, follow these steps:
Setting up an Account
Go to http://arctos.database.museum and enter a username and password, then hit “Create Account” (do not hit the return key or it will think you are trying to login with an account that doesn’t exist yet)
- Do not hit “Create Account” before entering a username and password.
- DO NOT INCLUDE periods in your username (e.g., arctos.database is not a valid username)
Passwords should be at least six characters, start with a letter, contain only A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and !$%&()`*+,-/:;?_., not contain the username, and consist of at least one letter, number, and special character
Once you have created an account and are logged in, go to the “My Stuff” tab at the top, then click on “Profile”
Enter your First, Middle (if applicable,, initial ok), and Last names in the appropriate fields
Enter your Affiliation (e.g., “MVZ” or “MSB”)
- Enter a valid email address.
This is important because you cannot be invited as an Operator without a valid email address.
Save your Profile and you are done. However, there are other options that you can set here, including:
- Preferred file format for downloading data
- Preferred other identifier (e.g., “collector number”) - if you select something here, it will always show up on your Specimen Search page when you are logged in.
Operator Invitation and Authentication
Once you have done this, contact an Arctos administrator who can then invite you as an Operator (see How to Invite an Operator tutorial)
- After you have received the invitation to be an Operator, login to Arctos with your username and go to My Stuff —> Profile
- You will see a field where you are asked to enter your password; erase the password (visible as a series of dots) in that field, then re-enter your password
- If your password complies with Oracle rules, an “Authenticate” button will appear - click on that
- Once you are authenticated, the Arctos administrator can give you the appropriate permissions for your collection(s)
- After you have been granted permissions, you will see your collection(s) in the “Collection” (“Select options”) dropdown on the Specimen Search page each time you login to the database